Your Union And You
What can your Union do for you?
All secondary school teachers who work for public school boards in the province of Ontario hold statutory membership in the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF). At the local level, approximately 1100 secondary school teachers with the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board are represented by District 14, OSSTF.
District 14 OSSTF is responsible for negotiating collective agreements with the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board on behalf of its members. In addition, the District 14 office provides many other services to assist and protect its members.
- Provide assistance to members in professional difficulty
- Sponsor Excellence in Public Education projects and awards
- Represent members on several Teacher-Board committees
- Administer the Long Term Disability plan
- Support members in personal conflict
- Assist in the professional development of the members
- Act as representatives at local Labour Councils
- Ensure Collective Agreement language is maintained and adhered to
- Initiate grievances on behalf of members concerning alleged violations of the Collective Agreement
- Organize the O.S.S.T.F. Professional Development Day (when applicable)
- Assist in appealing decisions of benefit carriers
- Advocate with the Employer for teacher issues
- Provide information on any issues which affect teachers
Each school is referred to as a Branch of District 14, OSSTF. The Branch has an Executive consisting of a
- President / Vice President
- Collective Bargaining Committee (CBC) representative
- Education Services Committee representative
- Equity and Diversity Committee representative
- Communications Political Action Committee (CPAC) representative
- Health and Safety representative
- Member Engagement Committee representative
- School Council representative
Make sure you obtain a list of the Branch Executive for your school.
Who to Contact
If you have questions or need assistance, the first person to contact is your Branch President. Your Branch President will either help you directly or refer you to the appropriate individual at the District 14 office.
What Can I Do?
Support your Federation and plan to play an active role in the District structure when you feel you’re ready!